Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: WBC Low RBC Low MCH High with mass on thyroid

lulu75 - Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:05 pm

I noticed a lump in my throat about eight months ago. In July 2008 I noticed it was getting larger so I went and had it checked out. I had a scan done and the report came back that I have a 3.4cm x 2.2cm mass in the right lobe of the thyroid with a mild enhancement. My dad and an aunt have had thyroid cancer. My sister use to work for an oncology Doctor and said that sometimes your blood work can show signs you have cancer. It is now 11/12/08 and I have swollen lymphnoids at each side of my neck (as if I had tonsilitis), swelling under my chin, and what feels like two more lumps on each side of my esophogus above the mass on my thyroid. I feel like I have been choked my neck is really sore. And my lymphnoids are even painful. I had mono when I was 15 and my neck wasn't this sore and my lymphnoids weren't this swollen. Back in July my blood work was:

WBC 3.4 (L)
RBC 3.9 (L)
MCH 34.9 (H)
GLUCOSE 147 (H) Fasting
CREATININE .6 (L)
ALT/SGPT 78 (H)
TSH .01 (L)

I don't have health insurance so I haven't been able to get any more tests done. I am just worried due to my family history. I have a hyperactive thyroid and I am really tired. I don't ever have any energy. Please help if you can. Should I be concerned about cancer? Do my blood levels say anything? How would I get help without health insurance.

lulu75 - Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:05 pm

I am not expecting someone to treat me without health insurance. I just want to know if I should worry or not. If I shouldn't have to worry about what my blood tests show then I don't want to worry. I would just like to have some answers due to what my sister said about the blood tests.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:32 pm

It would be very helpful if you inform us about the rest of your thyroid function tests.
Thyroid-stimulating hormone TSH Normal range is 0.4–4.5mIU/L
The TSH level is very low and your scan results are of hyperthyroidism. You mentioned that you have been told so, but I do not see any information about the treatment you have received to solve this problem and the results of your last thyroid function tests.

Normal values for while blood cell and its elements are:
White blood cells: 4,500-10,000 /mcl.
Neutrophils: 40% to 60%
Lymphocytes: 20% to 40%
Monocytes: 2% to 8%
Eosinophils: 1% to 4%
Basophils: 0.5% to 1%
Band: 0% to 3%

Your total leukocyte count is low (leukopenia) but the differential count (neutrophils, lymphocytes, etc) is important to understand what might be a cause. Although it is lower than normal, a single reading is not enough to suspect malignancy as many benign conditions like viral infections can cause low while cell count. So repeating the CBC is important.

More relative to you is the fact that mild leukopenia may occur in many patients with hyperthyroidism, as well as it is a known side effect of antithyroid medications.

Having lymph node enlargement following infection in the areas drained by this group of lymph nodes occurs to all of us. They usually remain palpable after recovery although decline in size. These nonspecific nodes are usually less than 1 cm, mobile and soft to firm.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor for proper evaluation.
Please keep us updated.
 redrover - Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:13 pm

I'd be interested to hear how you've been progressing. My niece has had test results that are almost exactly the same as yours.

|