News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: 32 wks pregnant, elevated WBC, borderline anaemic

kutiez2005 - Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:07 am

I am 32 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with ME a few months ago. The inflammatory blood tests (CRP?PV?ESR) taken then were elevated but I was advised that this could be down to the pregnancy.

Now I've had a recent blood test taken by my midwife that my doctor has not yet seen. The results are slightly abnormal & I am not sure whether to be concerned.

Firstly it seems to show that I am borderline anaemic with HB at 11.5g/dL. Rbc, Hct, MCV, MCH all within range but MCHC slightly under range at 31.2 g/dL.

It also shows an elevated WBC at 11.95 10*9/L. Lymp, Mono, Eosi, Baso all within range but Neut slightly over range at 8.83 10*9/L

I have been suffering extreme fatigue and vertigo/balance issues for a while and even before my pregnancy but blood results have always been within the ranges. Although I did have one result with low TSH but normal free T4 it corrected itself by the next test results.

I have not been taking any medications.

Any abnormal results seem to be put down to my being pregnant and I am sure that is the case but I don't think I'll be able to really relax until this baby is born so that any tests can't be skewed by it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 am

User avatar Hello,
Anemia is very common in pregnancy as you make 1/3 more blood when pregnant and this blood is a little lacking in hemoglobin. This could account for your symptoms and it would be a good idea for your to take a supplement on your doctor's advice. Thyroid hormones also fluctuate in a person's lifetime and you might be having some symptoms relating to this as well.

Vertigo in pregnancy can be fairly common but you should talk to your doctor about it anyway. Try not to worry too much about labs. Fluctuation in small degrees is common and if you had regular blood testing even when not pregnant you would note such as well. Sometimes labs can alarm people unnecessarily because we erroneously think they should be constant. If there are concerns for your pregnancy, your doctor would explain these.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here