Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated hemoglobin in 14-year-old

lombard_jh - Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 pm

My family practitioner referred my 14-year-old son to a hematologist following a blood test in which his hemoglobin was elevated. (This was a follow up to a test this fall when his hemoglobin was low. He was ill at that time and the first test was primarily to rule out mono or strep -- both negative.) The hematologist ran tests and found that certain values were above the normal range, but he was not concerned there was a real problem. He suggests having our family doctor run the tests again in a year to monitor things.

These are the results flagged as above or below normal ranges.
RBC 5.74
Hemoglobin 15.1
Hematocrit 44.6
MPV 9.4
Abs Lymph 3.27
Lymph Pct. 43.9
Immature Gran % .4

My son is healthy but not athletic.

I don't have any serious concerns, just looking for some additional reassurance!

Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Your son's blood work as reported here seems essentially fine. Some of the values are actually within normal limits (WNL) while others would be normal for a full-grown man, and if your son is growing (which he undoubtedly is) then this could account for any slight upward skewing. The values are close enough to any lab standard to barely raise an eyebrow, although now that they've been tagged as not-quite-right they should be followed up for consistency's sake and to establish a "normal" baseline for your son. However, I don't feel these findings constitute any clear and present concern, so I hope this will help ease any concerns you may be harboring. Of course that's easier said than done when we're talking about one's own child, so the follow up is highly recommended. If things remain the same or are seen as totally WNL then I think you can completely relax about this. As it stands, I really don't see any cause for concern.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and to your son. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|