Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated WBC , MPV & # MONO

Aarzu - Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:13 am

i am 27 years old and having normal healthy life except a few issues of feeling tired, fewa headaches and hairloss. I got my CBC tested (perhaps for the first time in life) and got 3 abnormal results.

WBC : 11.75 ( > 11)
#MONO : 1.13 (>1)
MPV: 11.7 (>11)

i also got ferritin tested for hairloss. it was initially 37.5 and after taking iron suppliments for 6 months, now it is 45. I think it should be atleast above 70 for hair regrowth.

i am really veryyyy tense after getting this and unable to consult any doctor. i just want to hear that there is nothing wrong with these results and will be ok with time and i don't need to worry. pleaseee help me in understanding this.

Looking for the response....

Aarzu.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 pm

User avatar Hi Aarzu --

While three of your parameters were very slightly above normal, this doesn't necessarily mean anything. First, it's so close to right it's splitting hairs (and of course we have to draw the line somewhere). This should, of course, be repeated in perhaps a month, but if it's no different or if it's back to within normal limits (WNL) then it truly was nothing. If any of these were to rise significantly then it would warrant further study. As of now, though, there's really nothing to be concerned about, and just have the test repeated in about a month to compare. Chances are it will still be either normal or so close to it as to be meaningless.

Hope this is helpful. Best off luck to you.

|