News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: recurring ferritin level drops

shimmers221 - Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:55 pm

Hello,
I had gastric bypass 4 years ago, and all was well with my bloodwork (except i was born anemic) and health until last year (3 years post-op). Since july of 2008, my ferritin has dropped from a 55 in july to a 2.2 in October. They proceeded to start iv transfusions of ferritin(5 transfusions in all) they accomplished getting my ferritin to reach a 95.3, while I still remained anemic. 3 weeks later my ferritin dropped to 68, 2 weeks after that i registered 40 (and still anemic). They now wish to start the transfusions again, they treat the problem without trying to find the reason for the dropping.
ferritin levels:10/15: 2.2
10/23: 2.4
11/14: 55.8
12/4: 54.9
12/22: 95.3
1/15: 68
1/28: 40

Microcytosis present, moderate anisocytosis, slight poikilcytosis, few schistocytes, hypochromid slight and few ovaocytes.
 Dr yasmin taha MD - Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Iron is absorbed in the duodenum. Gastric bypass removes this part of small intestine. The body starts to use up its iron stores which leads to a decrease in iron stores (ferritin) and the only way to replenish the iron stores is via iron injections in order to prevent iron deficiency.

Your red cell morphology is consistent with iron deficiency anemia.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here