Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High Ferritin, Normal Iron, Low RBC

PDT658 - Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:24 pm

I am a 45 yr WM and recently had blood work (2x) that is showing low RBC of 3.82 (up from the first test of 3.77 4 days earlier) Hemoglobin low at 13.1 (was 12.5 4 days earlier) Hematocrit 38.2 also up from 4 days before. MCH high at 34.2. Iron all normal at total 142, saturation at 46, binding at 308. However Ferritin is way up at 1690. I've read high Ferritin can kill off RBC's, which I'm thing is why that count is down. So my questions are, what does it mean to have a normal iron count but way high Ferritin and low RBC's? What can be done to raise RBC and lower Ferritin? I do consume alcohol and should also mention the reason for these tests were from a toxic reaction to medication prescribed in Mexico for food poisoning. I went into convulsions and had to be hospitalized overnight to flush out the medication. Could this also be a reaction from that experience?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 pm

While most of your blood work was close enough to be ok, the ferritin was high, but this was in the setting of recovery from a toxic response to medication for an illness, and since ferritin levels react wildly to systemic upsets and illness, this should be rechecked before any serious concerns become raised. It may have already corrected itself.

If, after rechecking, this is still way off, your alcohol intake needs to be looked at more closely, and beyond that certain disease processes would need to be ruled out, such as hemachromocytosis and thalassemia as well as certain types of anemia. However, with everything else pretty much in line, I'd put my money on reaction to a transient illness. Follow up study is entirely appropriate.

Hope this helps. Follow up with us as needed, and please keep us updated.

|