News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Giant platelets, High RDW, Low Platelets

tarheelluv1 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi. I went to see a weight loss doctor who did a complete blood work up on me. Other than being 35 pounds overweight, I am in excellent health. I am a 40 year old female. He said I had some issues with my platelets. The lab had even typed "GIANT PLATELETS" in bold uppper caps letters on my lab reports. Here are the numbers from my CBC and Differentials:

CBC
WBC 5.7
RBC 4.71
HGB 13.4
HCT 40.9
MCV 86.8
MCH 28.3
RDW 15.1 High
Platelet 130 Low
Then they typed in "GIANT PLATELETS" on the lab report

Differentials
Neutrophils 70.6
Lymph 19.1 Low
Monocytes 8.8
Eosinophils 1.0
Basophils 0.5
Absolute Neut 4.00
Absolute Lymph 1.10 low
Absolute Mono 0.50
Absolute EOS 0.10
Absolute BASOS 0.00

Does anyone know what this might mean? I will tell you that my father, sister, and multiple first cousins have been diagnosed with ITP. I had an uncle die of leukemia, and an uncle die of lymphoma. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Wendy
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:03 am

User avatar Hello,Giant platelets can occur as congenital or acquired.The congenital form May-hegglin anomaly has giant platelets,inclusion bodies in neutrophils and thrombocytopenia(Low platelets).Clinically they show only mild symptoms or no symptoms.But cases of severe post operative bleeding has been reported.Otherwise platelets are normal functionally. Pathogenesis is unknown.No specific treatment is known.Acquired can be a part of myelodysplasias.
Do get an hematological evaluation.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here