News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Abnormal blood results

Renae - Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:36 pm

I recently visited the neurologist for migraines and he ran several blood tests to rule out antiphospholid syndrome because I also recently miscarried. My results came back with a anticardiolypin level of 21 with normal being below 10. All the other tests for lupus, antiphosopholids, proteins and etc came back within normal limits. He didn't seem to think I had the antiphospholid syndrome because the result was only a weak positive and none of the other tests came back positive. I also have never had a DVT. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this would be associated with if it's not the APS and what my next step should be?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:10 pm

User avatar Dear Renae,

Depending on the lab, if 21 is not in the medium to high titer, then this is not positive.

If the miscarriage was after 10 weeks of gestation and the fetus looked normal, i think the next best step is to repeat the anticardiolipin antibody test at least 6 weeks apart from the first one and see what the results are going to be.

If you are still so concerned and worried, then i would recommend that you be evaluated by a rheumatologist.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here