Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Abnormal blood results

Renae - Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:36 pm

I recently visited the neurologist for migraines and he ran several blood tests to rule out antiphospholid syndrome because I also recently miscarried. My results came back with a anticardiolypin level of 21 with normal being below 10. All the other tests for lupus, antiphosopholids, proteins and etc came back within normal limits. He didn't seem to think I had the antiphospholid syndrome because the result was only a weak positive and none of the other tests came back positive. I also have never had a DVT. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this would be associated with if it's not the APS and what my next step should be?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:10 pm

User avatar Dear Renae,

Depending on the lab, if 21 is not in the medium to high titer, then this is not positive.

If the miscarriage was after 10 weeks of gestation and the fetus looked normal, i think the next best step is to repeat the anticardiolipin antibody test at least 6 weeks apart from the first one and see what the results are going to be.

If you are still so concerned and worried, then i would recommend that you be evaluated by a rheumatologist.

|