News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High WBC +low BUN + hight ALT+high RDW +low MPV

sjogren's girl - Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 pm

These are the results of the flagged levels of my CBC
BUN 7mg/dl low
ATL 37unit/L Hi
WBC 11.9 10E3/mcL Hi
RDW 15.4 % Hi
MPV 7.1 fl low
What could these #'s mean to my health? I do have all the other count if that would be more helpful. Thank you for any help in understanding this. It will be quiet sometime before I return to my care giver.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 pm

User avatar Hello --

While there are some levels that are just very slightly elevated, there's nothing here that would indicate anything of immediate concern. In fact, your BUN is at the bottom end of the normal range (within normal limits -- WNL) and your ALT is perfectly normal. The two others which are high are just barely so. Your MPV is just below normal limits, but that is far preferable to high, so that's okay as well. Also, parts of what you've included is CBC results and part is metabolic panel results. Still, if these were the only ones found to be "abnormal" all looks pretty good. The only thing I would suggest is that this all be repeated just to see if the results are consistent or close enough to normal (as are these) to warrant no further study. While it's great to have absolutely WNL, usually being close and just outside is not remarkable. Your off ones are just barely off. This could be laboratory error. The fact that ALT is completely normal is puzzling, unless the lab that was used has a different standard, which is sometimes the case. However, that number is normal for most lab standards.

All in all an unremarkable finding with some slightly off numbers. Probably should be repeated for accuracy, but no cause for concern at the moment.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here