News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Can Spherocytosis cause a false negative ANA test result?

designsbycm - Sat May 09, 2009 9:36 pm

I was diagnosed at the age of 19 with 33% Spherocytes in my blood and had emergency removal of my gallbladder, which contained pigment stones. I'm 40 now. My mother died at 45 with cancer and was found to have Lupus.

I too have developed all the symptoms of Lupus which have progressed terribly over the past 2 years ... but I always show a negative ANA test. My skin rashes and daily fevers and joint and tissue pain are starting to become more than I can handle and interfering with my daily routines pretty bad.

Just remembering my Spherocytosies, I'm wondering if this condition could be causing the false negative ANA tests that I get?

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:08 am

User avatar Hello,You pose an interesting question.As far as I could see there is no evidence to connect spherocytosis with a negative ANA.Also it is quite rare to have typical symptoms of SLE with out ANA.While ANA is increased in other conditions and could cause diagnostic problems,we generally assumethat with a negative ANA , the patient does not have SLE.In cases like yours it is needed to demonstrate high titre anti double stranded DNA antibody,anti smith antibody and skin biopsy immunoflourescence studies,and kidney biopsy proven disease, to say that you have SLE.Sans that you could be suffering from undifferentiated connective tissue disease.Do discuss along these lines with your doctor.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here