Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Permanent Brusing After Trauma?

pumpkinlover08 - Fri May 15, 2009 9:42 am

Dear Doctor(s):
20 yrs. ago I got hit with a racquetball to the thigh. What began as a red mark the size of the ball eventually became a blue/gray deep dermal discoloration & spread all the way down my thigh & over my knee & shin slowly, over the course of many months. The discoloration is sort of "see thru" and makes my skin look "dirty" from a distance. Up 'til about 6 months ago I never had any strange sensations in that area, but toward the beginning of this year my thigh started to feel warm on and off - like a heater is blowing directly on it. And I get little prinkly sensations and a TINY bit of numbness off and on. The discoloration is hideous to me & my self esteem has suffered over the years because of it (I've never worn shorts or a bathing suit). In much the same way, 5 yrs. ago I had to give myself small shots to the belly. Within a few days of each shot, a light blue/gray discoloration developed around each injection site and remained permanently. Lastly, I've had a blue/gray see-thru patch of skin on my abdomen since I was about 6 yrs. old. My parents don't know how or when it came about but they claim it was not present at birth. It seems SIMILAR, although not EXACTLY like the "bruise" on my thigh. I'm searching for a way to remove all 3 of these ares of discoloration and bring my skin back to it's natural color (I'd be willing to try lasers, topical creams, light therapy, etc.) but I'm getting conflicting "diagnoses" from doctors & no-one seems to know what caused the discolorations or what could remove someting so deep in the dermis. Everyone is perplexed! One of the hypotheses was that the Iron leaked out of my blood after the trauma and left behind a stain. I've heard yes, it can be removed, no it can't, try Vitamin K, try laser, try UV therapy, it's Scleroderma nothing can help, it's a vascular issue, it's a nerve issue, it's light refraction ... you name it. The dermatologist refers me to the hematologist who refers me to the neurologist who refers me to the rheumatologist who refers me to the cosmetic surgeon - and around and around we go. My question is 2-part: 1) Any idea what disease process this is and what caused it? and 2) What are my options concerning removal?

Yours very sincerely,
Ann-Marie L.
Cleveland, OH
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat May 01, 2010 12:11 pm

User avatar Hello,Easy brusing syndrome is an unexplained and poorly understood condition mainly affecting women and with normal parameters like coagulation profile and platelet count being normal.
Platelet function is normal to supranormal with 30% showing antiplatelet antibodies.Autoimmune causes are postulated as a possible cause.
In the absence of any specific cause being found this could be a diagnosis in your case.

|