News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Small child with Low RBC (Iron Normal) and low leukocytes

stormgazer - Sun May 17, 2009 8:34 pm

My daughter has had many infections since she was born 3 yrs ago. Many more infections than a child who doesn't attend daycare should have. Some of the infections she has had are ear infections X12+, Urinary Tract Infections X3, Coxsackie virus, many colds, pneumonia, roseola etc. It seems she is healthy less than 5 days before she gets sick again. She often gets unexplained fevers without ever showing signs of infection or virus.

Our family pediatrician ordered blood work because my daughter is always very pale and the results were very off. These were her results with differential ( I am canadian so not sure if the values are the same or not). We have been referred to a hematologist but I am concerned now and the appt is in a month. I am hoping someone can shed some light and let me know some possibilities (as I know you can't diagnose) and please let me know should I be overly concerned? The family pediatrician mentioned a problem with her bone marrow.. but what are the possibilities? I am going nuts reading online info. Please help a worried mom

Glucose (Random) 4.3 Normal is 3.6 - 7
Ferritin(Iron) - 85 Normal is 80-300
Hemoglobin is 106 - Normal is 115-135
Hematocrit is 0.30 - Normal is 0.34-0.40
RBC is 3.86 - Normal is 3.90 - 5.30
WBC is 2.6 - Normal is 4 - 12
Platelets are 201 - Normal is 145 - 400
Neutrophils - 1.9 - Normal is 1.5 - 7
Lymphocytes are 0.52 - Normal is 1.5 - 7
Monocytes 0.16 - Normal is 0.00-1.00

Platelets appear adaquate
Ovalocytes - FEW

Thank you so much for reading!
 Dananjaya - Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:17 am

User avatar Hi there,
Hope you two are doing fine, I went through your daughters history and the investigation findings provided. From my point of view, there is more tendency for these findings to be harmless. Mild drop in red blood cells could be due to the fact that the child's nutritional requirements are not met due to recurrent viral infections, or may be a simple case of worm infestation. But please make sure to visit your hematologist on the appointment date you mentioned and exclude all the bone marrow related illnesses.

Dr. Dhananjaya

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here