Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low Serum Ferritin, normal Crit

Eaglemate - Tue May 26, 2009 9:12 am

I am 42 years old, and healthy. My serum ferritin is 12.

With my first baby 3 years ago, my crit dropped to 18 and hovered around 18 for about 6 months. It staggered up to 32 with Chromagen, but the Ferritin stayed at 10.

Second pregnancy, the crit stayed around 32, but Ferritin stayed at 10.

Today, the crit moves between 30-38, and the ferritin is still 12.

My joints hurt; I am tired all the time; my heart rate by the end of the day goes from 60 bpm to about 90. My nails have ridges in them. When I sleep 10 hours and wake up, I feel like I have carbon monoxide...it's as if I've never slept.

If I get less than 10 hours of sleep, I can hardly function.

There's no depression or other etiology.

Here's the problem. Three doctors have dismissed the serum ferritin and indicated that since the crit has risen, I don't need iron.

One physician indicated that low serum ferritin can cause other problems, even if the crit is holding.

Does anyone think the serum ferritin numbers are disturbing, and if so, will shots or IV iron improve matters?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:43 am

User avatar Hello,Hematocrit is the percentage of red blood cells to the total volume of blood.The lowering indicating anaemia.Iron deficiency is one of the causes of anaemia.But then iron deficiency in early stages may not show up anaemia.Serum ferritin levels give an idea about iron storage.Low ferritin levels could lead to anaemia.My own personal feeling is that you may need oral iron an your doctor would be able to throw more light on this.Till such time nothing should prevent you to improve your diet to contain more iron containing foods like liver,clams and lentils.Best wishes.

|