Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated Total Protein in blood test

Mindy - Sat May 30, 2009 9:56 pm

I recently went to the ER for abdominal pain, which was finally diagnosed as constipation. While there, I had an initian blood draw which showed my Total Protein to be elevated (8.3 with an upper limit of 8.2). This was the only abnormal result on the blood test. Albumin was reported as within range at 4.1, but globulin was not reported. Can I assume that my globulin level was 4.2 and high also? Are there other proteins other than albumin and globulin that are included in the total protein count? The doctors in the ER did not mention anything about this abnormal level to me, I only found out after I asked for a printout of all my results which I read once I was at home. I did have a second blood draw while I was there, not sure why. Would they have told me if they were retesting my blood? The guy that drew my blood kept the tourniquet (latex glove) wrapped around my arm for so long that it left it numb, could this have affected the total proteins? Thanks for any help. I made a followup with a family practicioner to discuss, but don't go for 2 more weeks and am looking for some insight.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:50 pm

User avatar Hi Mindy,

Your total protein level is actually still within the range of normal. Labs have to set an upper range for their tests and a certain percentage of people will be outside these limits (usually about 5% since they often choose the 95% range for normals as their upper and lower limits). Things that cause an elevated total protein typically have much higher levels of total protein. Speaking solely based off your lab value I would not be concerned about this level.

There are other proteins in the blood besides globulin and albumin that get measured so it is not necessarily accurate to subtract albumin from total protein to get globulin levels.

Your doctor will be able to review your entire case and give you more info. I hope this helps.

|