Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: BLOOD AB- TRANSFUSION

karlos74 - Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:40 pm

I hope some can help me with my question
I have a friend in Thailand who had to have a blood transfusion due to an accident and that person in this case is AB- but this blood could not be found and was given another blood group and told to come back every 3 months or so to change blood and now after a few years of doing this their doctor still says that they can not find their blood for this group,could ome one please tell me if this is right ? as of what i have read is that being born with AB blood meant that u could recieve other blood groups

thanks in advance
karlo
 abbrody - Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:54 am

It is correct that your friend can receive almost any type of blood. When someone is AB- they can receive all blood types with the exception of AB+ blood. However, this is with some caveats. Some people who have had multiple blood transfusions do have increased sensitivity to certain markers, called antigens, that are found in the donor blood. However, in this particular situation, I am not sure why your friend is still receiving blood. Unless your friend has a slow bleed where they cannot find the origin that requires periodic transfusions, or they have another disorder, such as renal disease or cancer that affects the bone marrow (the blood creating cells), then I could not speculate as to why they are receiving blood.

|