Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood test results: can someone help me interpret?

adidas15g - Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:55 pm

My name is Todd, and I'm a little nervous about whats happening now in my life. For the last 2 or 3 weeks, I've been experiencing dizziness, lightheadedness, and a feeling as if the room around me is spinning. This does not happen all the time, as it seems to come and go randomly. I went to the doctors, and they gave me: 1) An antibiotic for a sinus infection to see if that would clear up my head I guess and 2)Meclizine, which is for dizziness. After completing the antibiotic and still taking the Meclizine, I still do have the same symptoms as above, and its making me nervous. Also at the doctors, I took a blood test. The following day I got a call that I needed to take another blood test because there are some irrigularities. The second test came back with the majority of the same irrigularities, and the doctor suggested I need to see a specialist. Here are the results that are listed as out of range:

RBC: 6.04 mill/mcL
Hemoglobin: 17.8 g/dL
Hematrocrit: 50.8 %
Protein, Total 8.5 g/dL
ALT 75 U/L
T3 Uptake 26.8 percent

In my second blood test, which only was a CBC(Complete Blood Count), the RBC and Hemoglobin are the only two that were not in range:

RBC: 5.94 mill/mcL
Hemoglobin 17.6 g/dL

The doctor told me I have to go to a Hemoglobin specialist, but would not say anything about my results. Can anyone explain to me what these numbers mean or tell me what's causing them to be out of range? Or even possibly why I've been feeling so dizzy and lightheaded? I've just been very nervous thinking about this. Thanks for any help I can get.

Todd
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:44 pm

Dear Todd,

I would accept your Haemoglobin level and Red Blood Cell count as being within normal ranges.

Haemoglobin levels are age and sex-dependent: the normal range of Haemoglobin for a healthy adult male is 14 -18g/dL. The Red Cell Count of a healthy adult male is 4.7-6.1mill/mcL.

What is definitely out of range is your ALT (alanine aminotransferase), which is one of the tests of liver function. Normal range for ALT is 0-50u/l. I would have expected that, based on this ALT level, serial estimations of liver function tests would be conducted. Was this done? What was your blood pressure when checked at the clinic? Any examination of the ears?

Sinus, middle ear, and blood pressure disorders may cause symptoms similar to yours, so ask for a referral to an ENT unit if you are not improving.

I hope this information has been helpful. Thank you for contacting our website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 adidas15g - Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:07 am

Dr. Solomon,

Thank you very much for taking time to respond to this post. In response to your questions, no other liver function tests have been conducted, but now it seems I should ask the doctor to possibly perform some other tests. I don't understand why she wouldn't have tested for the ALT level again when she requested I take another blood test. She didn't even mention that level to me, but rather only mentioned the RBC and Hemoglobin.

I don't know if what I am taking daily would affect my liver, but I am currently taking a multivitamin, a Vitamin C, and a Clarinex for allergies. Could this be affecting the high ALT level?

The nurse that took my blood pressure at the doctor's office stated that it was completely fine. The doctor examined my ears, and said they didn't look infected, but my right ear looked to be red inside. I think this, and the fact that I have a lot of congestion is the reason she prescribed the sinus infection antibiotic.

You also had stated that you would accept my Hemoglobin and Red Blood Cell count. Even though they are in the acceptable range, aren't they slightly high?

Thank you once again for your time and consideration.

Todd

|