Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Unexplained and Painless Bruising

thester6474 - Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:47 pm

User avatar I am a 26 year old female, that has over the last two or three months noticed bruises, that are all painless all over my problem. They all range in size, right now alone I have anywhere between 12 and 16 bruises, some on my elbows, arms, legs and hands. I also have this spot on my ankle that is really dark brown and has increased in size in the past few months. It was at first the size of a quarter, now it encompasses almost the whole left side of my left foot, all of my ankle and up to my pinky toe. I would say that it is about 4 or 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. I also have darkening and peeling on a spot on my wrist, that started a little over a year ago, and has progressively gotten bigger and darker. I have another spot on my stomach, that is starting, it has a diameter of between two and three inches. My toes are becoming discolored, especially my pinky toe on my right foot, it is turning black starting at my nailbed, and dramatically increasing in size as well. I also have these small pinpoint red dots up and down my legs and arms, which under flourescent lighting is highly visible. My nails and hair are brittle and easy to break off. My body also has difficulty healing from any type of injury, leaving permanent scars, and taking sometimes months to heal from a simple cut or scratch. What could be causing this problem? Could it be a Hematologic Disorder, an Autoimmune Disease or Cancer? What would be your best guess as to what it would be? I am actually going to see my Rheumatologist in less than a month, and hope that will share some incite into these problems as well. I have also noticed more and more moles, all are brown and range in size. I actually have one that is the size of a penny, and you can actually wiggle it around, it is hideous.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:14 am

Went through your interesting history. you will need to have the baseline bloods as well as coagulation profile checked.Tests to exclude collagen disorders/and various forms of arteritis will be mostly needed. As you are planning to consult a rheumatologist soon, he/she will be able to arrive at a diagnosis after having examined you and after putting you through a series of tests.Wish you good luck.Please be in touch.

|