News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: enlarged spleen, weight loss, neg EBV, persisting for >6mo

ee123 - Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:41 pm

I am a 19 year old female, who in the past year (at college) was constantly sick, had strep, flu, multiple colds, and from late December to January experienced extreme fatigue, reduced appetite, and a sustained fever (relatively low 99.5-101 at the highest). Doctor thought it was either mono or pneumonia, however mono tests came back negative, and chest x ray was relatively good. I eventually got better but still got sick very frequently (at least 3 times a quarter).

Over the summer I went in for a physical and mentioned how for some time now (at least 5 months) I felt as if I was constantly sick after eating. I had apparently lost 14lbs without trying since late December when I was in for what they thought might have been pneumonia. The doctor noticed my spleen was significantly enlarged, (and painful when pressed) as were the lymph nodes in my armpits. She explained that my problems eating were most likely caused by my spleen pressing on my stomach, not allowing me to eat as much as I normally would. She ordered some blood tests: EBV, CBC, and one for Celiac disease (it was a long shot). She had figured that I had gotten mono awhile back and had not noticed. EBV and the Celiac tests came back negative and the CBC was normal.

I am a runner and in good health, and would like to know what might have caused the enlarged spleen. I understand when the spleen is enlarged it has a higher chance of rupturing, furthermore I dislike constantly feeling sick after eating and as this has been going on for some time, I would love to hear if there might be some other underlying illness that might cause my symptoms to persist for such a long time, so that I might treat it and rid myself of the side effects.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:44 am

User avatar Hello,In a tropical country like where I live, malaria is the commonest condition causing splenomegaly.Did you visit any other country in the recent years?The diagnosis of an enlarged spleen may be quite tricky,but a bonemarrow may provide necessary information if the routine investigations are inconclusive.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here