News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: factor viii deficiency in coagulation test

mommyto2 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi so i have a question that i am deeply concerned about. I have been bruising easy i mean ive always brusied easily but it wasnt until one time about 2 months back i went to the doctor because i had multiple bruises on my legs they did all the coagulation factors and my factor viii came back as deficient and after talking with my mom she told me when she was pregnant they told her she had a factor viii deficiency with her last child and thats why they tied her tubes tied but she wasnt exactly sure because she lost her healthcare afterwards but she has always brusied easy also and we are both anemic. so i was just wondering what that meant my doctor is sending me to a hematologist but it says hematologist/oncologist so i was wondering does this mean they are checking me for cancer or what because i am freaking out! and also what does factor viii deficiency mean because when I google it hemophilia a comes up and i thought only males could have that ? thank you so much for your answer!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:09 am

User avatar Hello,You are partly right in saying that only males suffer from hemophilia.Woman is only a carrier.But you have bruises so did your mother had some related problem.Being a sex determined problem why should you have factor8 deficiency?That is probably the reason you have been reffered to hematology rather than a suspicion of malignancy.Women carry two x chromosomes which protect by producing adequate factor8 while the males have xy and have the disease carried in the single x.But rarely mutation could occur in one of the xx in a woman and a mild deficiency status could occur.Again an xy with a mutant gene in a manifesting female.Some times combined factor5 and8 with moderate factor8 deficiency may be mistaken as hemophilia.So do not worry about malignancy and get your self examined.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here