News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: What does it mean when Alkaline Phosphatase is very low?

Masha - Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:37 am

Over the last few years I did 6 blood tests and every time my Alkaline Phosphatase was 37 or lower (ref range 30-115). I know it is still within the ref range but it is always on the lower side. I was told by one dr that pregnancy is not possible unless Alkaline Phosphatase is at least 60. I have been trying to get pregnant for years and now I am becoming paranoid that might be the case. I have been taking Kelp for last 10 months but it hasn’t helped. What can I do to increase it? And is it true that low Alkaline Phosphatase can affect fertility?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:37 am

User avatar Hello,Hypophosphatasia can show reduced alk phosphatase levels in the blood.Pregnancy elicits the presence of placental alkaline phosphatase and is of foetal origin.There are no references to connect low alk phosphatase and fertility.Serum alk.phosphatase in pregnancy is studied and reported but as to what you fear is not reported despite my vigorous searching the net and books.Bestwishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here