News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: My WBC keeps increasing

kkross - Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:57 am

Since 2005, my WBC keeps increasing. It started at 11.8 in 2005, and this week was tested (oct 2009) and was at 18.5. The doc keep telling me I just have a high WBC. BUT, wouldnt or shouldnt it at least stay stable?? All they tell is they just watch to *keep an eye on it*. I was checked for leukemia on 2 separate occasions, once in 2005 when the count was 11.8 and again in 2008 when the count was 14.5. Im not sure how concerned I should be that it keeps increasing or if I should be seeing a different Doctor.

thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:15 pm

User avatar Hello,If your bone marrow was normal and the leucocytosis only peripheral it could be due to stress physical or emotional.Also other than polymorphs which increase during infections,lymphocytes could show an increase during viral infections.You have not mentioned about your blood smear studies which can give valuable information about the type of cells and their morphology and the possible conditions involved in the pathogenisis,if any.Allergic events can give raise to eosinophilia and increase in counts so do parasitic infections.In absence of any other conditions this is likely to be physiological.Clostridium difficle infection after antibiotic therapy is one other to be ruled out for a leucocytosis over 15.Ok?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here