News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Gilbert's? 16yo male has high bili, low WBC, high Lymphs

kypntuck - Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:28 pm

My 16yo very healthy son suddenly became very fatigued, started looking jaundiced and complaining of knee pain a month ago. His PCP ran CBC w/ Diff, Chem 13, TSH & CRP. Results were normal except:
TBILI 3.9 0.0 - 1.2 (Ref Range)
WBC 3.5 4.0 - 10.5
ABSOL NEUT 1.7 1.7 - 6.6
LYMPHS-AUTO 42 9 - 33
PCP thought might be Gilbert's Syndrome wanted to repeeat LFT in a few weeks (didn't mention the low WBC & High Lymphs). LFT was run this week (but no other tests) results were:
TBILI 3.9 0.0 - 1.2
DBILI .3 0.0 – 0.2
IBILI 3.6 0.0 – 0.9
SGOT dropped from 18 to 15 15 - 37 (Ref Range)
SGPT dropped from 25 to 30 25 - 70
PCP sent email saying it is likely Gilbert's Syndrome and we can recheck again in 6 months. I am trying not to be a freaked out mom, but feel like we may be ignoring some of the other possibilities. My father had AML which was only indicated by a low WBC count over several months prompted a marrow biopsy.

Overprotective mom? or reason for concern?

Thank You,
Worried Mom
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:46 am

User avatar Hello,Gilberts is generally diagnosed at puberty because the body steroid hormones inhibit bilurubin detoxification.It is benign and does not cause any problems.The leucopenia is mild and not of significance.I think you are simply a worried mum than anything else.A differential count with abnormal cells,or other suggestive features are not seen and surely you should quit worrying.Good wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here