News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low Ferritin cause muscle and fat loss?

JakeHass - Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi,

I am a 25 year old female. I am experiencing significant muscle loss, severe shortness of breath, and orthostatic hypotension. Also, I have fat loss in really strange places like my palms, face, and soles of my feet. It feels like I am walking on just bone, because most of the fat pad is gone. It hurts to sit and also grab things (like open a jar) because there is no cushioning. Is it possible that this could be caused by low ferritin? Also, am I considered anemic even though I fall with the normal range for Hemoglobin? Maybe my normal is just higher?

Here are some lab results:

Ferritin: 11 (10-300) LOW SIDE
MCH: 25.8 (27-31) LOW
MCHC: 32 (33-37) LOW
RDW: 15.4 (11.5-14.5) HIGH
MCV: 80.6 (80-99)
HGB: 13.5 (12-18)
HCT: 42.1 (37-52)

Thank you.
 JakeHass - Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Just to follow up on my own question. I have gained back a lot of muscle and fat after correcting a severe Vitamin D deficiency and slight iron anemia. Apparently, Vitamin D is not often suspected of being the culprit in anything, so if you experience immense weight loss and are often inside all day, live in the northern latitudes, or are older than 40 and thus not able to produce Vitamin D very well, then have it checked out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here