News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: high Neutrophils, Low lymphocytes, high CRP

durtra - Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 pm

This concerns my 17 year old son. Very active and athletic. He started having trouble staying awake during the day and feeling very tired when he is awake. He has been to a sleep clinic (no sleep apnea or narcolepsy) and had blood work done three times(once a month for three months). All three times the CBC was normal except for the following: The first blood work shows Lymphocytes at 7.5% and neutrophils at 85.7%. Second shows everything within normal range. Last time shows: segmented neutrophils of 81.4%, Lymphocytes of 9% and CRP of 3.2mg/L. He has also had blood work (all came back normal) for Rheumatiod panel, EBV, ANA, RA, and mono. not sure what this all is, but it was done. Also done was (incase any of these are not) drug screen, HIV, Herpes, vitiman. Is this something I should be worried about?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:59 am

User avatar Hello,From your descriptions I find that your son is atheletic, and I presume a sportsman.
The commoner cause for neutrophilia is infection.But then your son has been investigated and except a CRP which can be considered as average value,and neurtrophilia he is otherwise normal.
Neutrophils exist in circulating form CGP ie circulating granulocyte pool
The other is known as marginal granulocytic pool ie MGP adding to TBGP ie total blood granulocytic pool.
Those who do heavy workouts,sometimes there is a surge in the CGP due to influx from the MGP thus resulting in transient neutrophil increase.This is normal and physiological.
Your son may need a repeat test to make sure.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here