News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated CD3/CD8 (T CELL)count. Everything else is normal

Military Guy - Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Please help. I just had blood work done on me, and i am concerned about an elevated CD3/CD8 Tcell count. (i don't have the sheet with me at this time, but i remember my CD3/CD8 count being 745 and normal range is (400?). The Doctor told me not to worry, that i should only worry if i had a LOW CD3/CD8 Tcell count. I was also told that an elevated CD3/CD8 is caused by the T cells fighting something off. I feel fine, and haven't been sick in a long time. I did have a vasectomy reversal in July, along with a post op abcess that has cleared up. In October, I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my cheek. I am worried about the elevated T Cell count. With the values listed below, what could cause the elevation? Should i be worried? . I included some results in this posting;

CD3/CD8 (T Cells) 745 (i believe 400 is average?)
WBC: 9.22
RBC: 4.95
HGB: 15.7
MCV: 96.7 (high)
MCH: 31.8
MCHC: 32.9
RDW: 11.9
Platelets: 221
Segmented/100: 63.9
BASO%: 1.5 (high)
Lymph%: 23.2
Mono%: 7.8
EOS%: 3.7
ABS LYMPH: 2.14
ABS NEU: 5.89
ABS MONO: 0.71 (high)
ABS EOS:0.34
ABS: BASO 0.14
SEGS MAN: 73 (high)
LYMP MAN: 18
MONO MAN: 4 (low)
EOS MAN: 5
NORMOCYTIC: YES /
NORMOCHROM: YES
PLATELET EST: ADQ

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this message. Thank you so much!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:19 am

User avatar Hello,normal adult absolute CD4 would be 420 to 1250 cells while CD8 range 220to960 cells/mcL.Your test results accordingly may be interpreted as normal.This test is mainly used in HIV patients to prognosticate the disease and to compare with the earlier test results.This would tell the doctor how strong the immune system is.Also to start anti retroviral therapy,or prophylactic treatment against oppourtunistic infections this would be of great help.Best wishes.
 Military Guy - Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:55 pm

so all of my levels are normal? it sounded as if you were advising me to get treatment. i had HIV test, and all is negative. Should i be concerned about the levels? I have included the confusing statement below. thank you again!!

"Also to start anti retroviral therapy,or prophylactic treatment against oppourtunistic infections this would be of great help"
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:56 am

User avatar Hello,This is meant for readers as a general information and those with HIV who may be reading the post as a reference.You are in the clear and nothing to worry since you have been reassured.Always have protected sex and that is always good.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here