News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: My daughter has high neurophils and very low lymphocytes

number1mom - Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:35 am

My daughter was recently hospitilized due to Asthma and during that time, a CBC was done. It showed her neutrophils as being 95.2 and her lymphocytes as being 3.8. (She is 8) She has been brusising really easy and seems to be more tired than usual. She also has dark circles under her eyes. Could this CBC be showing something that I need to have her checked again and is this something I need to contact her pediatrician about?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:15 pm

User avatar Hello,Infections do lead to neutrophilic leukocytosis and it is quite possible that your daughter had secondary bacterial infection during the asthmatic episode.Dark circles around the eyes indicate an atopic ie allergic tendency.Treatment with steroids do cause brusing and again steroid therapy does increase neutrophil levels.Since there were no abnormal cells detected the findings probably represent nothing more.A repeat test would clarify.Best wishes.
 number1mom - Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Thank you so much, doctor, for your fast reply. I wanted to run this by you and see what you think....at the time of hospitilization, different tests were done to check for any underlying bacterial infections (she never did have a fever) and all came back normal. She does suffer from severe allergies so that would probably explain the dark circles under her eyes. She wasnt on any type of steroid therapy during the hospital stay, although her asthma doctor did prescribe her predisnone after we came home. She does suffer from severe nose bleeds, mostly in the middle of the night, to where I have to get up and change the bed. I don't know if this will give you any further insight as to what may be going on with her, but I just wanted to know if there is anything I may need to discuss with her pediatrician before going. (We have an appointment next week for a follow up CBC), I do appreciate your answering me so quickly.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:16 pm

User avatar Hello,I do thinkthat the neutrophilia may be related to an incidental infection and nothing more.An allergic tendency also needs a nasal examination to rule out polyps.Best wishes and have a great festive time,and a happy new year.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here