News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood Work

browneyes77s - Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:33 pm

I went for my early physical today and needed blodd work to test for thyriod. Also, some other blood tests that are normally done for this visit. I went to the place to do the blood and the nurse asked if i had eaten today and i said "yes". She then replied "ok we will take your blood anyway". I was under the impression you had to fast for several hours before this type of blood work. Are you? And if so, will this throw off my results?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:59 pm

User avatar Fasting is required only for certain tests. The most commonly ordered tests that require fasting are:
lipid panels
fasting blood sugar
triglycerides
Fasting means nothing but water for ten to 12 hours.
To the best of my knowledge you don't need to fast to get a thyroid function test. Anyone else care to add to this / correct me?
 catrina - Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:19 pm

I am not a doctor, however, I do have the thyroid blood test yearly, sometimes more often if my weight changes or my levels fluctuate - I have been on synthroid for over ten years now. No, It is not necessary to fast - I have yet to do so, and my test results are where they need to be. I have read articles that indicate fasting is necessary, however my doctors over the years have NEVER told me that this is required, nor has the subject ever come up. The only requirement that they ask to be met, is take the synthroid at the SAME TIME every day, and on an empty stomach. Hope this response from a layman is helpful, Doctor Fouad.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here