News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Please help: High Ferritin, low haemoglobin

liu23 - Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:29 am

Since 2 years ago, my mother (56 yrs old) has a very high ferrition level (above normal)and low haemoglobin count (below 10). She is diagnosed as a minor thalassemia patient and has been given Iprex medication. The doctor has been increasing the Iprex dosage since then, but the ferritin level and haemoglobin count seems to only slightly improve. She always feels fatigue easily and frequently feels cold or sometimes has fever. She has had gastric problem since sometimes ago, but latetly she does not have any appetite at all, feeling like vomiting when eat solid food, so eating softer food such as porridge will be easier. In addition, lately she seems to have muscle aches every night which disturbs her sleep every night. I am really hoping there could be a better diagnose and thus would like to seek for help on other suggestions, or on how to have a better treatment.

I am really, really looking forward for any suggestions and advice of which I greatly appreciate. Thank you very much.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:28 am

User avatar Hello,As the thalassemia patients age there is higher incidence of osteoporosis.This may manifest early as muscle and bone pains.The factors contributing to this include age,high ferritin and low hemoglobin.So it would be advisable for her to get her Vit D levels and bone density studies.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here