Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood Blister

Alwene - Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:44 pm

I have had a blood blister on my lower lip for about two years now. It was caused by inadvertently biting my lip and my attempts to puncture and drain it at the time were a failure. However, as time goes on, it has become very hard and, periodically, it has also been getting a little sore. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it once and for all?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:51 am

Based on your description alone, the first condition to be excluded is a mucocele.

The main cause of mucocele formation involves mucus extravasation from accessory salivary glands and is generally though of as being of traumatic origin, particularly related to lip biting. Following the trauma and extravasation of the saliva, an inflammatory reaction ensues and reactive granulation tissue is formed. This granulation tissue is responsible for the encapsulation of saliva and mucin from the ruptured ducts. It is not a true cyst (best classified as a pseudocyst), as it lacks an epithelial lining.

Mucocele appears as an asymptomatic nodule with a pink or bluish color. The nodule often evident within a few days following minor trauma. Once produced, it may remain unchanged for months unless it is treated. If the content of the cyst is drained, it usually consists of thick, mucinous material. Some lesions change in size from time to time and may disappear after traumatic injury (commonly, accidental biting), which results in drainage and may even disappear or re-fill.

Ideal treatment involves removal af the lesion and the removal of the salivary gland connected with it. Lesser procedures such as marsupialization also may be done but, recurrence rates may be higher. There have been some reports of successful use of intralesional steroids.

The other lesions one needs to consider in the differential diagnosis are,
- hemangioma,
- nodular basal cell carcinoma,
- malignant melamoma,
- squamous cell carcinoma and
- minor salivary gland tumors.

You must show it to your doctor(sooner, the better), who will be able to come to a more accurate diagnosis after assessing the morphology of the lesion.

|