News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High Ferritin, normal iron - professional runner

marathoner - Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:34 pm

I am a 30 yr old female, professional marathon runner. I just had a routine blood test and noticed my FERRITIN level is high at 391 ng/ml (over double the reference range).

My iron is normal at 84 ug/dL. My hemoglobin and hematocrit levels are fine at 14.1 and 41.0 respectively. The only other level that was high was the GGT at 79 IU/L. That seems almost double what it should be.

I am concerned about the elevated ferritin and GGT levels. From my own research on the web it seems that a high GGT level can be from alchohol abuse (among other things) but I don't drink. I am very healthy in my lifestyle.

Are the GGT level and ferritin levels related?

I train VERY hard, twice a day, and this can be very taxing on my liver. Could this be the cause of high ferritin and GGT? My racing season has been just so-so this year and I think it is because of this problem. Maybe I have Sideroblastic Anemia?

Any thoughts???? Thank you in advance!

Oh, and I was tested for hemochromatosis twice and it was negative.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:22 am

User avatar Hi,
The information you have provided is woefully inadequate to answer your questions. Please provide results of all of the results including complete blood count, peripheral blood smear, transferrin saturation, full liver function tests(AST, ALT, ALP and others). Then we will be able to make an attempt to answer your queries.Please do not omit the laboratory reference ranges!
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here