News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: LARGE RED BLOOD CELLS

Smilingeyes2010 - Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:56 pm

I am a 42yrs old female. Fairly healthy until 3 yrs ago when I had my gallbladder removed (emergency surgery, was told it had "died"). Since then, I have had headaches, severe gastro problems and was put on monthly B12 injections for very low B12. I'm told that my B12 is holding normal as long as I get the monthly B12 injections but my red blood cells remain larger than normal. They are referring me to a Hemotologist.

What is could be causing this and what questions or additional tests should I ask the hematologist?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:53 am

User avatar Hello,Amongst the many causes the commonest condition causing this would be B12 deficiency.Response to treatment will be shown by increased reticulocyte count.One of the reasons for this deficiency would be lessened absorbtion of the vitamin to reduced factor in the stomach lining called intrinsic factor.Also a fish tapeworm is a known cause and needs to be ruled out.
The investigations would probably involve a bone marrow examination to rule out myelodysplasias and to confirm diagnosis.Folate levels and schilling test with radioactive cynacobalamin,and tests for iron levels are the other relevant investigations.
Bestwishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here