News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: abnormal blood test results

Debr33 - Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:04 pm

I see an endocrinologist for my thyroid cancer. It is stable, no growth on nodules in lungs in 3 years-original diagnosis was 1990. I have no thyroid gland and take .224 synthroid daily.

recent abnormal blood test results:
HGB-16.7 normal12.0-14.0
HCT:50.3 normal 36.0-48.0
MPV:11.0 normal 7.4-10.4
Cholesterol:316 normal 0-200
Trig:154 normal 35-135
LDL:243 normal 62-185
VLDL:31 normal 7-27
Ionized ca:3.7 4.5-5.2

I understand the cholesterol,trig,ldl,vldl. Familial & diet -caused.

I am wondering what the HGB,HCT,MPV & ionized ca could be leading to. My endo didnt address any of these or tell me they were off. I keep copies of my january blood tests due to my cancer and these are new abnormal levels.

I know ionized ca could be kidney or parathyroid-would the other values be related to that as well? I have 1 parathyroid remaining-other 3 removed for cancer in 1990. Should I ask my dr to look into these values or are they so minimally off that it isnt anything to worry over.
 presbam - Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:35 pm

I am a 37 year old female, non-smoker/drinker. I am also adopted, so I do not know family medical history. I am not overweight. I have allergies to several things, including about six antibiotics and take Allegra and Singulair daily to control allergies. I also have Raynaud's.

I recently went in to have sinus surgery and had the pre-op blood tests come back abnormal. I have had several surgeries prior to this one and never had this happen. The pt/inr was prolonged. I was sent to a hematologist/oncologist and he has done two repeat pt/ptt along with cbc and ana and seratonin.

ANA was negative and the first cbc showed a low wbc. However the second cbc showed that the wbc had resolved itself, but then the Hemoglobin was high(15.6) and the albumin levels were high, as well (5.4).

He gave a vitamin K shot and did a repeat pt/ptt and that did not fix the clotting problem. He decided to give a higher dose of Vitamin K and retest next week.

I am more concerned over the elevated hemoglobin and albumin?? He mentioned something about Stress Erythrocytosis or doing a Lupus coagulation study?

Any ideas??

Thank you for the time.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here