News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Unexplained High CPK Levels

manUman250 - Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi my name is Dave and I currently have unexplained CPK levels of 9000.

I just recently suffered a severe heat stroke and seizure (whilst in the MRI). I was in ICU for 2 days, in normal care for 3 more days, and was released from the hospital that 5th day. During the period in the hospital I was constantly on the IV to replenish my fluids and electrolytes. When I was admitted, my CPK and ALT levels were perfectly fine, but after a couple days they both spiked. The CPK went to 4000, and the ALT to 1600. I was quite nauseous at the time, dizzy, and very weak.

It's now a week from being released and I feel perfectly fine, but I'm still not cleared to start playing soccer because the 9000 CPK. I'm no longer nauseous, my appetite is back, I don't feel dizzy, my liver is back to normal, I'm drinking a ton of water...I have no clue what's wrong--and neither does my doctor.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. I really want to get back to my sport.

Thanks,

Dave
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:31 am

User avatar Hello,Very interesting.Rhabdomyolysis can manifest after vigorous exercise,or after use of certain drugs like statins leading to muscle break down.This in turn leads to abnormal raise of CPK and liver enzymes.Classical presentation leads to severe muscle pain and dark urine.The Acute renal failure that follows is treated with iv sodium chloride.Very rare presentation without renal failure is also reported.
"Unrecognized cause of rhabdomyolysis with absolutely high CPK level without renal failure"

(Authors: R. Farah; R. Farah; N. MakhoulClinical Intensive Care, Volume 13, Issue 4 December 2002 , pages 181 - 182)
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here