Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: making sense of symptoms and blood tests

heath - Sat May 14, 2005 11:43 am

I'm trying to interrpret by blood test results and make sense of a variety of symptoms that have appeared in the past 4-5 months. I have Fibromyalgia diagnosed 9 years ago, which was realtively under contraol until January. I was still tired and had daily pains, but I got by. Have gone through several MRIs. EMGs, blood tests over the past 4 motnsh for new symptoms. Numbness and tingleing in both upper and lower limbs and lower back. Nothing additional is clear yet, ANA, Rf factor, creactive protein, thyroid, lyme are all normal. Nothing neuralogical was indicated by the tests

Also, I have over the past few months had svere abdominal cramping, it comes in waves for a few days at a time. It at time is difficult to eat as the pain under my breast bone starts shortly after I start eating. The rheum also tested my B12 level which was 249, this is normal by some standards and low by others it seems. Is this level an indication of anything?

The other new thing since my last appointment with the rheum is that I'm now two weeks late on my period - and i'm not pregnant. My last period came a few days earlier than expected and lasted about 4 days longer than normal.

Now I'm wondering if all the symptoms that have begun to flare up are some how connected to hormones. My sister had premature ovarian failure at 33, the exact cause was never determined yet. (she miraculously got pregnant 6 months after her period stopped)

My next appt with the rhumotologist is in June, and now I proabbly should make appt with my gynecologist as well. I hate waiting for answers.

Heather
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:46 am

User avatar Your intermittent normal/low B12 values coupled with the stomach pain is indicative of pernicious anemia and warrants further testing, mainly a Shilling test. Pernicious anemia is characterized by stomach pain, numbness and tingling, irritability, confusion, weakness and fatigue among others. If this is the diagnosis, you will need regular B12 injections and you will be fine!
 lawjaw - Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:51 pm

Due to suspected rotator cuff tear, I had a MRI on my shoulder. Along with the confirmed tear, bone spurs, etc., the MRI said all of the bones of my shoulder had abnormal bone marrow like seen in chronic anemia, which I don't have. It mentioned diffuse low signal or something to that effect. It also said couldn't rule out Leukemia or Lymphoma and needed to rule out other blood dyscrases (? sp.) My doc ordered a CBC w/ dif that came back normal. I have had a bump in my groin and have been exhausted. My immune system is down, so I catch everything. One of my worst problems has been pain in most of my bones, esp. knees and feet and of course the shoulder. When my GP called with the lab tests, that was all he was going to do. I am having the shoulder surgery by another doc. What do you think? Could it be nothing?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:22 pm

User avatar Have you mentioned all your pain and exhaustion to your GP? You would at least need a chemistry, ESR and thyroid test to start, and perhaps a referral to a rheumatologist for more in depth testing.

|