News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: BONE MARROW TEST

jamielynn - Wed May 18, 2005 3:54 pm

I am a 25 year old female and in the past three months my blood platelet count has been elevated slightly (between 469,000-559,000) I have been taking an aspirin a day for a month but it has still raised higher than the previous blood test. Today my hematologist ordered a bone marrow test for me. She said to rule out any abnormalities. Has anyone had this done and if so what should I expect? What could be the reason she ordered this test? What could the abnormalities be? Could it only be cancer or could it be something more simple. Thanks.

Jamie
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed May 18, 2005 11:56 pm

User avatar Hi Jamie,
A high platelet count could be due to many conditions or could be even a normal transient condition. The bone marrow can be thought of as the platelet factory. So a good idea would be to check and see if everything is alright in the factory. Conditions in which the factory is working too fast are known as myeloproliferative disorders of which cancer is a cause (Chronic myeloid leukemia) although not very likely given your young age. Thrombocytosis could also result as a reaction to infection. Essential thromobocythemia is a benign condition where no cause is found.
Best regards,
 jamielynn - Thu May 19, 2005 8:34 am

Hey Doctor,

Thanks for your reply. Do you think I should worry about leukemia since my maternal grandfather died of leukemia back in the 60's? Am I at higher risk due to this fact? Would there be any other blood abnormalities if it was leukemia or could high platelet count alone be condusive of leukemia? I have had people tell me if it was leukemia then my white blood cell count would be affected not my platelets is this true?

Thanks for your help,
Jamie

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here