News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Husband has a lot of symptoms but blood work is okay?

butterfly2597 - Fri May 20, 2005 7:15 pm

If anyone could help me out here it would be great. My husband has been having some really concerning symptoms lately. They include, ankel pain, knee pain, hip pain, and back pain. When the pain is really bad in his hip he limps. Also off and on morning stiffness. He also has been having some stomach problems too. Off and on at times when he eats he has to go to the bathroom very soon afterwards and sometimes has some stomach upset. He has also been having some fatigue, and tiredness. He went to the doctors and they ran alot of test...

Lipid Panel...all normal
Comprehensive metabolic...all normal
Bilirubin Total was 1.6 (normal range is 0.2-1.5 mg/dl)
Alkaline, Ast, Alt ...all normal
CBC count...all normal
Lyme Disease...Negative
Rheumatoid Factor 7
Ana Screen....Negative
Epstein Barr Virus VCA IGG AB 5.11
EBV Nuclear Antigen (EBNA) AB (IGG) >5.00
TSH 1.28
Amylase 49
Lipase 35

The doctor said everything was fine and that he should be okay, and to take Motrin for aches and pains. Should we still be concerned, is there something there that could not be showing up or is to soon to see in the blood work.
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 11:07 pm

User avatar What age is your husband?

Did these symptoms come on rather suddenly or gradually over time? If gradually over time, what period of time?

How long have these symptoms have been going on for?

Is he on any medications? Any "new" medications?

Has his diet changed at all?

Is he exposed to any chemicals at work or at home?

If these symptoms are new for him, I don't think just taking some Motrin is the solution to the problem. I'd be definitely seeking a second opinion - to figure out the root cause.

I would also be asking for a referral to a rheumatologist ...considering all of his joint pains.
 butterfly2597 - Sat May 21, 2005 4:45 pm

My husband is 28 years old. His symptoms seem to of come on slowly over a long period of time. I'd say about a year of small aches and pains that started to get worse over time. He has no known medical conditions, and takes no medications. He has a pretty good diet, and has a healthy BMI for is height. He dosen't have exposure to chemicals at work or home. I also thought he should definetly see a rheumatologist. Of course he thinks he's fine. Lately he's been saying he's feeling better, but I know he's still having some aches and pains.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here