Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Should there be intense pain 3 days after bone marrow test?

jamielynn - Thu May 26, 2005 11:09 am

Hey,

Let me explain my situation. I am 25 year old female with no known medical conditions except high cholesterol. I am not on any medication just a low cholesterol diet. I have had elevated blood platelet counts for the past three months. My hematologist sent me for a bone marrow aspiration test and biopsy. I had it done on Monday, May 23. The test itself was very painful. They told me there would be very little pain afterwards. I have had intense pain (it hurts today as bad as it did on Monday). I am having trouble bending and sitting. It hurts if I sit or stand or lay down. It is a burning, shooting pain. It shoots to the middle of my thigh to the middle of my back is this norma.? or should i be concerned?
Thanks for your help. Have a great day.

Jamie
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 26, 2005 5:23 pm

User avatar Hi jamielynn,
Generally speaking after a bone marrow aspiration there may be mild tenderness at the site but you should not be experiencing significant pain. I would suggest that you call your physician/health care provider for an evaluation.
 tellmem3 - Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:05 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Christie and I am 20. My hematologist also detected "higher then normal" blood platelet count. She has ordered a marrow test biopsy? I asked vaguely what this test is, and she said it takes a small amount of marrow out of your bone for analysis using a small needle. First off this just sounds painful. I not too fond of being stuck with needles. Can someone please help me and tell me how exactly this is done? and does it hurt really bad?

Gosh Jamie, your experience sounds horrible... I'm kinda scared now.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:51 am

User avatar Hi Christie,
During a bone marrow biopsy/aspiration an anesthetic is injected into the skin (generally the hip or breastbone area) to numb the tissue. Essentially a needle is inserted through the skin into the bone and a small amount of marrow is removed. The test may cause a feeling from dull pressure to a sharp pain and should subside quickly after the procedure is completed. There may be mild tenderness at the site of aspiration but there should not be pain after the procedure. The procedure takes approximately 30 minutes to complete but you may be asked to remain for an additional hour to assure there are no complications such as excessive bleeding etc. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. We sincerely wish you the best.
 tellmem3 - Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:19 pm

Thank you sooooo much for your help Theresa. I really appreciate you writing back. How big is this needle if you don't mind me asking and how does it get into the bone? Do they drill :cry: Sorry to keep asking you questions.... I'm just feeling kind of nervous about the procedure and I'm a wimp for pain, so I hope it does not hurt too much. I called the receptionist today to get more information and I am having a core needle biopsy if that helps out any? I ask about being put to sleep but they said it is not necessary and they won't do it.

Thanks again

Christie
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:52 am

User avatar Hi Christie,
Please don't apologize for asking questions. I will do my best to help you all I can. I can certainly understand being nervous about any procedure. The needle used is larger than a standard needle. The bone itself can not be numbed. The needle is rotated in such a fashion that it penetrates the bone. If there is pain it should be brief. I hope that only pressure is experienced and not pain.
Here is a link that you may want to view.
Click here!
Please keep in mind that everyones experience is not always the same, one may experience pain while another does not. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
 tellmem3 - Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:02 am

Hi again Theresa.

Thank you for all of the support and resources you have given me It really helped make things easier. I had the test on Monday and it went pretty well but not enjoyable at all. They gave me some meds to relax but they could not find a vein in my arms so they stuck it in a vein in the bottom of my foot witch HURT A LOT. After that I was feeling pretty drowsy when they did the biopsy so I did not feel too much pain just lots of pressure witch still hurt a little. I'll keep you informed on the test results. Overall I'm doing good though. I think my foot hurts more then my rear right now lol

Thanks again

Christie
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:43 am

User avatar Hi Christie,
I am glad to hear that your overall experience wasn't quite as bad as you had anticipated. You may want to apply short term (15-20minutes) warm compresses to your foot as this will help alleviate the discomfort/pain from the IV site. I hope your foot and rear feels better real soon lol! I very much appreciate your updated post and will continue to watch for further ones :)

|