News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: RDW is 15.1

cass_dave - Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 pm

Hello, my husband had a examination at work. His RDW came back at 15.1. I am his wife and i am a medical transcriptionist. I know what rdw stands for but I wanted to know how seroious this is and what it means. We are worried that something might be wrong. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP. Everything else came back ok. It is just that the RDW was so high.........Thank U Cassie
 Anonymous - Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:41 am

The elevation represents a wide variability in red blood cell size. When elevated by itself, can be sign of early iron deficiency anemia.
 lstock - Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:28 pm

Hi,
I am 48 yrs old and female. We have a health fair annually and I just got my results back. The only things that I had wrong were my cholesterol was a little high, but my good cholesterol was higher than it lists as normal and my RDW was 17.2. Could you please tell me what that means? Is it ok for the good cholesterol to be higher than normal (total cholesterol was 225). What does the high RDW mean? Everything else was normal.
Thanks for your help!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here