News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: nerve strike from blood draw problems

DaveB - Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:51 am

Recently I had my blood drawn and for the first tiem ever in my life, upon initial penetration I felt a huge electrical spike feelign surge down the same arm, down my hand and to my fingertips. The pinkie and ring finger were slightyl less affected, it was the middle, index and thumb.

It felt quit ejangle for a time although I had no loss of sensation. Unfortunately, after 4 days or so anytime I extend the same arm as if compressing the area at the elbow joint, I get the majority of the same incredibly uncomfortable feeling.

The woman who drew the blood did immediately within justt 3-4 seconds withdraw the syringe, and she said she had never hit a nerve before, but that is what it was she said.

At rest I just feel a little bit of electrical jangle....but any movement....

How long does it typcially take for such symptoms to go away, and is there any treatment protocol other then letting the body do its thing? The feeling is really uncomfortable and prevents me from using my arm and hand the way it is supposed to.

Again, no numbness though in the extremity.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:01 pm

User avatar Dear DaveB,

Poikilocytosis indicates a defect in the maturation of red cell precursors in the bone marrow or hemolysis and fragmentation of the circulating red cells. Anemia due to myelofibrosis, a red cell maturation defect are diagnosed with bone marrow studies using bone marrow aspirate or biopsy.

Changes in the myeloid versus erythroid lineage (M/E) ratio together with the reticulocytic count can differentiate patients with a hypoproliferative anemia from those of hemolytic anemia.

For example, patients with reticulocyte index <2 and M/E ratio of 2 or 3:1 indicate hypoproliferative condition of the bone marrow. While in patients with hemolytic disease, the retucloctic index is >3 and M/E ratio of at least 1:1.

Another useful test is to stain the marrow smear or biopsy to check for iron stores or iron in developing red cells. Sideroblasts are the iron container in developing erythroblasts.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to continue your investigation.
Keep us updated.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here