News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Can Anemia be linked to Autoimmune Thyroiditis

rybakgirl - Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:34 am

I can't seem to get a straight answer. I am 35 years old and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease and anemia a couple of months ago. My ferritin levels are very low and my TIBC is normal and my hemoglobin is a little low. They haven't given me a straight answer on whether this thyroid condition is associated with the iron definciency anemia. Also, my diet is good source of iron and don't understand why my iron is so low, what other conditions can cause this? I don't expect a diagnosis, but some guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you.

Kim
 nity72 - Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:44 am

my dear : 1st of all iwish uto overcome ur problme withcomplete cure.
hashimoto thyroditis is an autoimune disease and usually associted with other autoimmune disease of which the called pernisouse anamia .and this anamia not one of iron def.anamia i6ts associted big red blood cells in peripheral blood .its associted with antibodies either to the parietal cells in stomach or interinsic factor it self that factor needed for absorbtion of vit B12 from ilieum.decreased iron in your case especially iron stors need some investigation : what about the transferrin and t. saturation:? did u did blood film with peripheral smear ?haemoglobin electrophoresis?stool analysis for parasits, occult bloodand any abnormalities interfer with absorbtion of iron? percentage of hypochromc cells?and fi9nallyiron stain in bone marrow?another point fbc is need as abase of all of this are there any associted autoimmune diseases ?any drugs are takeni hope tom get results to coplete picture
 rybakgirl - Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:30 pm

Thanks Nity, I haven't had all those other tests done, my doctor has not stated that I need them. I forgot to mention that my ryticulyte count was also low. I really feel I need further evaluation but don't know it I am just over reacting or not. Thanks for your advice.

Kim

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here