Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood Test Result - help

Chris - Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:02 am

Following a visit to the Doc with symptoms including tiredness, lightheadedness, nausea, dull headache and weight loss, I underwent several tests which the Doc said did not indicate what the problem may be.
The only interesting finding with one of the blood tests was that my IGA Gliadin Antibodies was elevated (72 u/ml) when it should be less than 34. Incidentally my Endomysial antibodies were negative.
Does anyone know whether this high reading indicates anything and should I be worried ?
Also has anyone else experienced similar symptoms and had a diagnosis.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:13 pm

User avatar It seems that your doctor was trying to exclude that you had celiac disease (gluten sensitive enteropathy). What are the results of your other tests? Stool analysis? Blood counts?
IgA and IgG anti-Gliadin antibodies are used to diagnose celiac disease. However, the test may be associated with false negative and false positive results. False-positives are possible as other gastrointestinal disorders are known to induce circulating antigliadin antibody, mainly Crohn disease, food protein intolerance, and postinfection malabsorption.
Endomysial antibodies (IgA) is the investigation of choice since it has more sensitivity and specificity than the anti-Gliadin antibodies (IgA, IgG) for celiac disease.

I would like to refer you to the following pages on The Doctor's Lounge which I hope you will find useful for evaluating your condition:
Regards,
 Chris - Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:50 am

Thanks Dr for your response.

The tests I had to try and diagnose the symptoms I presented including tiredness, light-headedness, mild nausea, weight loss, belching
were as follows:

fbc, uec, lft, tsh; fe study; b12; folate; calcium+corrected
urine epg, serum epg, troponin
initial urine - chlam pcr, gon pcr, msu
serology - helicobacter, gluten, endomysial
haemoccult x 3 days

The test results were all in the acceptable range or were negative except the IgA Gliadin Antibodies (EIA) which showed a reading of 72 U/mL. The results which were at the low or high end of normal included:
Alk Phos 119 u/L
Sodium 144 mmol/L
Protein 79 g/L
Globulin 33 g/L

If you require any of the other test results, I will be happy to provide them.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:51 pm

User avatar Could you outline the results of the stool test?
Thanks!
 Chris - Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:26 am

The result of the stool test was that:
Faecal occult blood was not detected via chemical and immunological testing.

I still have symptoms including constant tiredness, weight loss and mild diarrhea so was also wondering at what point I should go back to the doctor given that the tests I have had so far have been inconclusive and should the doctor be testing for anything else.

Chris
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:57 am

User avatar Chris,
It seems you have only been requested to do a fecal ocult blood test not a stool analysis. I think since your symptoms are mainly gastrointestinal that a simple stool analysis is in order. If we find a high lipid content then a 24 hour fat in stool test will be required to diagnose malabsorption. Also the presense of indigested material would indicate indigestion. Both these conditions can easily be treated.

|