Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: very young, high cholesterol

kirti2005 - Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:52 pm

I am only 20 years old, I am in really great shape. I exercise quite often and I eat healthier than most people my age. On my last blood test, the results showed that I have very high cholesterol (in the 220 range). My doctor was really confused and wants to take a re-test soon. Lately, I've been searching online and I discovered that

"everyone needs at least eight hours of sleep per night. Fatigue can increase the adrenalin levels in your body, which causes cholesterol to become elevated. If you're not getting enough restful sleep, you may be increasing your cholesterol level. "

During the last couple years of high school, I averaged only about 4 hours of sleep per night on weekdays. And even now, I find myself getting only 4-7 hrs per night. I'm pretty convinced that this is where my problem lies.

Would anyone please be kind enough to share with me your thoughts on this. I plan to be very strict with my sleep, but I am still very concerned about my current health condition. If i start getting 8 hours every night, how long til my cholesterol lowers? Will i ever get to a normal level again? Exactly how serious do I need to be about this?

I am really anxious to read some discussion about this.

Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:22 pm

User avatar Dear kirti2005,

Different types food or beverages cause transient increase in the triglyceride levels, so fasting for at least 12 hours is essential before the blood sample is taken to measure the lipid profile.
The Low density lipoproteins (LDL bad cholesterol.)
and the High-density lipoproteins (HDL good cholesterol) should be measured too.

Causes related to unhealthy life style are the primary source of high cholesterol level in young age as well as in adults. Being overweight, consuming a diet high in saturated fats (animal and dairy products) and cholesterol and trans-fatty acids (commercial food products), sedentary life, and consuming a moderate to excessive amount of alcohol are all risk factors to high.

A blood cholesterol of 220 in a healthy young person with no risk factors for coronary disease does not warrant treatment. Changes in the life style and healthy nutrition are very important to maintain the cholesterol level in the normal healthy range.

When lipid levels in the blood are very high, special blood tests are performed to identify the specific underlying disorder like liver, thyroid problems and Diabetes.

Hope you find this information useful.

|