News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Archers Virus

Velvet - Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:51 pm

Ok, so, i was quite young when i got this so i cant remember the details, apparently, two GPs described it as Archers Virus (??) Symptoms were high fever and strange blotchy marks on my skin that resembled an archers target in the way that they were circular rings, about the size of a penny, going from red to white all over.

If anyone could offer some more information on this, i would be very appreciative
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:09 pm

User avatar Dear Velvet,

If my guess is correct, the lesions you have described are more likely to be erythematous lesions. There are many causes and manifestations of erythema including photosensitivity, erythema multiforme or erythema nodosum. It is very difficult however, to be sure of the diagnosis and to tell what was the cause. In addition I think you do not remember well the name of this disease as to my knowledge I do not know a viral induced fever with this name.

If we assume that these lesions were erythema due to viral infections, then I hope you find this information useful.

Although in half of all cases of erythema multiforme or erythema nodosum, the underlying cause my not be identified, viral infection has a causal role in many of them.
In Erythema multiforme: Infections like primarily herpes simplex virus (HSV) and certain types of pneumonia caused by mycoplasma; influenza A and Epstein–Barr virus are associated with erythematous lesion.
Clinically: fever, itching of skin proceed lesions that are typically surrounded by concentric rings of normal and red skin and distributed on different parts of the body.

Erythema nodosum may be caused by viral infection of the HSV. Clinically in addition to the generalized flu like symptoms there are red, hard, painful lesions that turn into to yellow and brown while they fade out.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here