News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: elevated wcc please help

tiredone - Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:50 pm

:? I have been unwell for about 2 yrs,but have been seeing my local gp for 4 months my blood test keep coming back with a high white cell count dr thought it was infection but cant find anything so i have an appointment with a hematologist my white cell count has been 18.6 13.2 16.7 the neutro count 15.8 10.3 13.4 all other counts seem to be fine, last blood test also showed crp 15.3.My symptons are very tired , no energy, headaches,feeling like im always coming down with a cold,some aches & pains in bones & neck,Please any advice would be great as i said this has been full on for last 4 months im starting to worry,thanks for any replies.
 gin13 - Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:28 am

Hello-- An elevated white blood count can( a possibility, not an absolute) be an idicator of some cancers. I would immediately go to a hemotologist or oncologist.
What is a white blood cell count?
White blood cells are cells of the immune system, responsible for protecting the body from infection and malignancy. A white blood cell count (WBC) is ordered to check whether the number of white cells in the blood is abnormally high or abnormally low.

Patients with a low WBC are at increased risk for infectious disease.
Normal WBC count is 4.8 to 10.8 thousand WBC per microliter of blood.
Low WBC may indicate:
Overwhelming Infection
AIDS
Certain Cancers
Treatment for Cancer (either radiation or chemotherapy)
High WBC may indicate:
Infection
Leukemia

What is a differential blood count?
In a differential blood count (Diff), the numbers of different types of white blood cell are measured, to aid in a variety of diagnoses.

There are 5 different types of white blood cell:
Neutrophils
Lymphocytes
Monocytes
Eosinophils
Basophils
Normal ranges for a Diff are:
Neutrophils: 3150 to 6200 neutrophils per microliter of blood
Lymphocytes: 1500 to 3000/uL
Monocytes: 300 to 500/uL
Eosinophils: 50 to 250/uL
Basophils: 15 to 50/uL
High neutrophil count can indicate:
Infection
Certain Types of Cancer
Arthritis
Physical Stress to the body, such as following:
Surgery
Trauma
Heart Attack
Low lymphocyte count can be a symptom of AIDS.
High monocyte count can indicate infection, often bacterial infection.
High eosinophil count can indicate:
Allergies
Certain Skin Diseases
Parasitic Infection
Immature white blood cells of any type can indicate:
Bacterial Infection
Leukemia
Good luck. gin13
 tiredone - Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:22 am

:? Hi thank u so much for your reply had 2nd visit with hematologist , 1st visit he said i look healthy(besides my black bags under eyes) he sent me for more bloods,xrays,ultra sounds,ct scans.Today he said they all came back fine but a small cyst on right ovarian tube,but he doesnt believe this is the problem, my white cell count came back at 19.0 (which is the highest its been) his given me antibiotics(the same that i tried once before,wcc came down a bit then went back up)had more bloods taken i go back in 2 weeks he mentioned that if this doesnt help he might have to look into chronic leukemia (cml) but he seems to think that it doesnt quite match,i have started to get svere back pain so i was a bit shocked to see liver,spleen,lung,kidneys test came back fine,,,any advice on this would be great,as im starting to worry,as i have read up on cml, and do think that this is the direction he should be looking...Thankyou so much looking forward to your reply back...
 gin13 - Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:26 pm

Hello-- I would consider getting a second opinion. Has he/she checked for autoimmune disease? Also, you could also see an oncologist(specifically works with cancers). Does this hemotologist work at a cancer center and if not try to find one who does ? Good Luck-- gin13
 tiredone - Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:39 pm

hi gin13 thanks for answering me, my hematologist is also an oncologist, also my crp is 20 which he hasnt said anything about,well ive had my antibiotics,still feel the same by the way,no different. I see dr tomorrow hopefully he will have answers,as my kids & family are starting to worry now also.I don't know much about autoimmune dieases ? Wouldnt he have mentioned something? Well i will post back if he has any news,thanks for your help gin13 xx

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here