Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High Calcium Levels in Blood

glowworm - Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:57 am

I recently went to the doctor for lower back pain and abdominal pains. A blood test was ran that came back 1.06 calcium high. I took a second blood test that came back 1.07 calcium high. I was then told to take a 3rd blood test immediately for PHT. That came back normal. When I asked what kind of followup was required, I was told none. Should I be concerned about the calcium levels?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:57 pm

User avatar Dear glowworm,

Calcium level is normally in the range of 8.8-10.4 mg/dL (total Ca; serum); 4.7-5.2 mg/dL (unbound Ca; serum).
Hypercalcemia is defined as an abnormal elevation in serum ionized calcium concentration (free unbound calcium). The most common causes of hypercalcemia are primary hyperparathyroidism and malignancy due to bone resorption. Reduced renal calcium excretion is another cause of hypercalcemia in cases like renal impairment, volume depletion, and thiazide diuretics.

My concern also is the back pain and the abdominal pain you
have mentioned, however it would have been helpful if you could give more details for the character of that pain. I hope you have been investigated for renal stones (e.g. using abdominal Ultrasound) and it was excluded to be the cause of that pain

I advise you to keep on follow up with your doctor and to monitor your blood calcium level at regular basis.

|