Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: 4th Month of Abnormal Blood Results

justdande - Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:28 pm

Hello, I have been seeing my PCP since the beginning of May 2005 trying to resolve many abnormalities with my blood results. I am a 34 yr old female, have been hypothroid since 1994 and diagnosed with Celiac Disease since 2001. I have had 2 ct scans w/contrast in the past 2 months with abnormal lymphs nodes in abdomen, rt side, cluster near 1 cm in diam, no changes, still having pain in lower abdomen, rt side. Past 2 months, have been taking Hemacyte 324mg daily for Anemia - with no improvement.

Abnormal Blood Results:
WBC-11.9
Hemoglobin -10.2
Hematocrit-31.3
MCV-77
MCH-25.0
RDW-19
Platelets -447
Neutrophils (Abs) -8
EOS (Abs)- .5
ALT (SGPT) -46
TIBC - 396
UIBC- 376
Iron, Serum- 20
Iron Saturation - 5

Given these numbers listed above, are there any specific blood tests that I may be able to suggest to my PCP?
Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!
 xavi2871 - Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:49 am

If you find any answers I would love to hear them. I have had similar results now for over 3 yrs and am no closer to any answers.
(Im 34 female)

WBC 21.3
RBC 6.5
HGB 17.00
HCT 52.6
platelet 235 (has never been elevated)
MVP 11.5
RDW 17.5
Neutrophils 69.2
lymphocytes 21.1
Sed rate 1

This is actually one of my better CBC's my WBC has been as high as 33 and my rbs 7 but the lowest has been 12 an 6 the rest the same as above since 11/02. I am curious though how you feel. I had had several infections but I have always had chronic bronchitis and get URI's often. I had had some problems with my shoulder and about 6 months later my ankle was hurting. I was told it was a mild sprain but a lump kept getting larger over the next 7 months and 5 dr's visits it became the size of a golf ball and still was not showing on an xray as anything other than arthritis. When they finally agreed to remove it, the dr was shocked to learn it was a benign tumor of "unknown" origins (no clue what caused it I guess.) I kept having URI's and about a yr later in 2002 I was having pain in my knee and swelling. I went to a Ortho and he drained fluid and ran a CBC for arthritis panel and this is how it came back. This particular Dr refused to treat me and sent me to my PCP who sent me to ever expert in town for every test possible, including to Vegas and to Mayo. WIithin 6 months of the first CBC (which Im sure was not the first) I was having severe pain in my joints and extreme fatigue to the point I had to go on medical leave because I was sleeping or in pain.. I have enlarged nodes all over and have had biopsies and a bone marrow biopsy all of which have been not neg or pos but inconclusive.. I have had all my records reviewed by the CDC as well as the Ak cancer research center and all are stumped. I feel much better, but I think I have just grown accustomed to the discomfort. I now have another lump in the same foot and am once again being told it is only a bone spur casued by arthritis, I just have to laugh...

|