Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: pain in right kidney blood in urine

tracey - Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:18 pm

hi there, for the past 3 weeks i have had a nagging pain in my right kidney i went to the emergency doctor who gave me antibiotics as he said there was +3 blood in my urine, i went back to my own gp 5 days later who also checked my urine and said there was still +3 blood in my urine nd gave me a different antibiotic, i finished that course but still had the pain in the kidneys and was feeling very drained so returned back to the gp, he sent me for blood tests they all came back normal so i returned to the gp and he sent me to the emergency unit at the hospital, they did tests and there was still +3 blood in my urine and sent me home telling me to wait for an appointment for scans as they think i may have kidney stones, since then i have started having pins and needle pains in both of my legs below the knee to my anckles, also i have started having stabbing like pains in my head at times.

I would be very grateful of a reply from anyone that has had these symptoms as i am very worried
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:19 pm

User avatar Dear tracey,

When the urine looks normal and blood is detected only by microscopic examination , the condition is known as Microscopic haematuria. A normal individual can excrete small amount of blood in urine daily ( up to one million red blood cells (RBC) in the urine each day) and the condition is not considered hematuria.

In females, hematuria is common due to the high incidence of urinary tract infection (due to their short urethra). Urinary tract infection is usually associated with burning micturition, frequency and urgency.

Other conditions that lead to hematuria include
Kidney and ureteric stones , in which pain (colicky ) is usually present and may radiate to the groin and the upper thigh.
Kidney disease, such as nephritis .
Medications such as warfarin, aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen
 To investigate the cause your doctors would recommend you one or more of the following tests , after complete history and physical examination,
Urine tests (urinalysis), in this case not only to check for blood in urine but also for pus cells which if present indicate the presence of infection. Urine Culture is to be considered in this condition.
 Blood tests to check also for infection and to rule out any systemic causes of bleeding tendency.
 Kidney, ureter and bladder-imaging with (IV) or without dye stenography or X- ray, to detect stones or any masses.
 If no cause is found but the condition is persistent or increasing, Cystoscopy, is rec commended to visualize the urethra and bladder

I advise you to follow up with your doctor, to update him with any symptom and to discuss with him the possible causes as mentioned above.

Best regrds,

|