Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low Iron for 7 years

honeybee - Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:41 pm

I am 33 years old. I have 3 girls. I found out I was anemic during my 2 pregnacy. After my 3rd daughter was born. I began to get really tired, irritable, etc. I went through a bunch of test and the only problem was low iron. My doctor told me to take 4 Fergon Iron suppliment tablets a day. I must admit 5 years later I don't do it on a daily basis. I know when I am really low on iron when I get extremly tired and don't feel like doing anything. Should I have my iron checked again or should I just continue to take the 4 iron pills a day? I am concerned that I taking 4 will put too much iron in my blood.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:12 pm

User avatar Dear honeybee ,

The diagnosis of anemia is primarily made by the finding of low the hemoglobin level , RBC number , and the hematocrit. However, for the identification of the cause, many other parameters should be investigated.

The average volume (MCV) of the red blood cells is used to classify types of anemia. The normal MCV is in the range of (82-98) fl; values above and below this range indicate macrocytic and microcytic anemia, respectively.

The microcytic anemia is usually due to deficient hemoglobin synthesis in cases of iron deficiency anemia and the anemia of chronic disease. Chronic blood loss is the commonest cause of iron deficiency anemia

In iron deficiency anemia which represents the most common form of anemia, serum iron, iron-binding capacity, and ferritin; in addition to examination of the peripheral blood smear should be measured.

Condition of chronic blood loss include:
Irregular menstrual bleeding.
Inadequate iron intake.
GI bleeding from ulcers, colon polyps, colon cancer, hemorrhoids, etc.
An examination of the peripheral blood smear is important in the diagnosis of the underlying cause.

I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor to be investigated properly.

|