Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: HELP! I'm scared...

paroxetinum - Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:50 am

Hello, my name is Catalin. I'm from Romania, so my English could be a little "sick:" :) .I have low MCV, hypochromia and eritrocytosis. I also have a 13.6 cm spleen, which mean that it is slightly enlarged. My haematologist suspects a hereditary haemolitic anaemia, which could be thalassemia. My Hgb level is 12.8. My MCV is about 66.8, Hct about 42.2 % and RBC count about 6.36 mil/mm3. I am 25 years old. I also suffer from a moderate depression and anxiety disorder. My question is the following: does any of patients with thal minor experience slighlty enlarged spleen? Is it even posible that with thal minor to have a mild spleen enlargement?
I have to add: i wad in hospital for IBS, 5 days, my first labs was: RBC 6.4 mil/mm3, WBC 11.2 mil/mm3, Hgb 13.8, Hct 47.5. And when I left hospital i had the values from above.

At 25 years old, with no symptoms and diseases in the past or childhood, is it posible to have a major type of haemolytic anemia?
 paroxetinum - Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:01 am

I forgot to add smth. My height is 1.85 m and weight is 57.5 Kg. I'm pretty thin. Could the spleen be enlarged (or seem enlarged) because of my body architecture? I am on Seroxat and 1 0.5 Xanax in the evening. Now i'm fine, except of episodes of dizziness and light headaches. And, for 3 days, when I walk home (about 1 mile per foot) i feel a oain in the upper lef quarter of the abdomen. Could be caused by IBS? My colon could stress the spleen and the spleen releases pain? I'm in need of an oppinion! Please

|