News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: long time anemia

phread - Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:39 pm

my wife(78 yrs old) has had low blood counts for four years,and no one knows why. she has been tested,(bone marrow twice) and all tests are normal. still her blood count would stay about 9.8 to 11.4. two years ago her oncologist started procrit shots every three weeks,which has kept her blood count around 11.9,but in three weeks it will fall again. we are very concerned that no one knows where her blood is going. we would like your opinion.
thanks in advance
phread
 solo - Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:18 am

I'm not sure that this will be much help, but.... I am 38 and have been found to be anemic. My hemogloben is 8.7. I have had every test ....gyn, colonoscopy, upper GI, and yes the bone marrow. They have also run all types of labs. The only thing that appears wrong is that I do not have any iron stores in my bone marrow and I'm not able to get it from food or supplements. Because they could not find any bleeding, I am starting IV iron on Friday. My doctor seems to think he can get me up to around 13!!! I will not know what to do with all the energy. I'm still a little concerned that they can not tell me why my levels are so low, but for now I'm very excited that I might be able to get back to an active life.

Good luck

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here